Friday, April 12, 2013

Breaking up is hard to do

Break up on lake Monona


Up in Alaska, the day the ice breaks up is such a monumental time.  For the month leading up to it, people go a bit crazy.  Here in Wisconsin, it's normally not quite the big to do--except this year.  The ice, finally, is starting to push it's way onto the lake shores.  Open water can be seen from the bike paths.  Water fowl are moving back in--we should see our first loons soon on lake Monona.  And spring, I think, is right around the corner--even though it officially arrived several weeks ago.  We, as cyclists, or at least I, have been feeling a bit pent up.  Just the idea of being on an indoor trainer in April is so wrong.  We've all got our personal goals and yet mother nature keeps giving us the finger.  Such is life.  There's nothing we can do about it but wait...and keep riding in all conditions.

Tomorrow I will set out on a ride to Milwaukee.  It should be about 27 degrees when I roll out with a high of 41 and 10-15mph winds.  Honestly, any other year I wouldn't even consider this, but there are two things giving me a swift kick in the rear end.  First, I have two gravel events coming up--my first being a week away.  Secondly, two good friends are opening up a bike shop in the upcoming weeks in Milwaukee and I can't wait to see it.  I'll be doing a post on them next week--that is if I make it.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment