Saturday, April 12, 2014

Retraining my body and mind while searching for goats

Dreamfarm goats
Yesterday I squandered one of the best days yet this Spring.  In hindsight, I have no clue why I did it.  For some stupid reason, while the temps rose to a balmy 69 degrees, I chose to run errands and wrap up a pile of unfinished projects instead of hopping on the bike.  This put me in a pickle of a situation.  I wanted to put some miles in, and this morning was calling for showers, so I got up early--trying to out ride the raindrops--and went out searching for baby goats.

The first drops hit just a few miles out of town.  Wait a second!  It wasn't supposed to hit until 10am or so.  I, however, was on a mission.  It was my first ride on skinny tires and carbon since late fall and I'd be damned if I were going to turn around so early.  I didn't.  I kept going West, adding on miles as long as the rain didn't pick up too much.  I felt like I was playing Russian roulette, but it just felt so good to be on a sprite, responsive bike.  My body didn't know how to react.  It took several climbs to retrain myself on how to use my muscles on this new stallion.  But muscle memory kicked in, and I settled into the saddle like I had never left it.

In the end, I didn't find many goats--just two begging for attention and something to nibble on at Dreamfarm.  I did, however, find what's important--taking time for myself and setting obligations aside, just for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment