Tuesday, August 18, 2015

And miles to go before I sleep

It's pretty rare I go for several weeks without a post.  Sometimes I find experiences are so grand and both my mind and body are so spent in the best possible way, words can do no justice and so I stop writing.  Instead, I let these experiences settle down a bit in my body--kinda like curing cement--before I choose to write about them.

You may assume the past two weeks brought adventures from afar--a grand bikepacking adventure of sorts.  On the contrary.  Instead, I spent the past two weeks enjoying every single part I love about Wisconsin and my amazing group of cycling friends.  The rides weren't glitzy or glamorous, just miles and miles of pure pleasure (and some pain I must admit) and they will be forever imprinted in the creases of my mind.

Getting to ready to roll out with Dan for Dairyland Dare 200km

Meredith and Tim heading out of a long, hot, hilly and fabulous ride to Devil's Lake
Rehydration stop in a tunnel
Rebuilding a cairn for another friend on the H8TR trail

In times like this, I consider myself to be the luckiest girl on earth.  The fact I have people in my life who want to experience the small things with me on a regular basis and can make me laugh, and me them, when struggling up big climbs or through bonks, puts everything in perspective.  Although I love the type of work I do, I don't live to work.  Although there is yard work and chores to be done, there are very few things that can't wait another day.  When it comes down to it, I always go back to a few basic necessities:  friends, movement, sleep, nourishment (both solid and liquid form), music, learning and laughter.  As I get older--another year is about to get added on--I realize I'm quite happy being a simple girl and have very little interest in piling more things onto the table.  Thanks go out to my friends who share these basic things with me and make so many moments memorable!

Memorable day--NOT a memorable beer :)



No comments:

Post a Comment